Tuesday 20 March 2012

Angel



Angel

            I had never been a very superstitious person until……. Somewhere at the very bottom of my heart, I knew that monsters, werewolves, vampires, spirits, and angels existed, but I had never thought of me meeting one face-to-face.
                                    *                      *                      *                      *
            It was that day when it all changed. I had been signed up for some-sort of government youth forum without my consent by my teacher just because I was the class monitor. Reluctantly, I had to accept or else the teacher would “punish” the other students by signing them up too. I figured out that it was going to be a long boring day, and I was right. Well, partially right I supposed.
            From the moment she stepped out of her car, a sleek black Mercedes convertible, I dropped dead. My knees seemed to buckle beneath me and I could feel my face gradually getting warmer and warmer. I stopped dead in my tracks, standing right in front of her (supposedly a great coincidence) and stared straight at her. She was gorgeous.
            Her jet black hair which was tied into a neat ponytail with a slight twist at the tip swished through the air from left to right every time she turned her head. Her face was probably the most beautiful face I had ever seen. She had a smile that melted my heart instantly like butter put in a hot frying pan. Her white perfect teeth gleamed in the sunlight when she suddenly laughed. The sight of me goggling at her must be amusing, but I was oblivious to the others around me. Her laughter sounded like the tinkling sound made when pure crystal champagne glasses were knocked together. Clear, crisp, refreshing, and sweet, her voice sounded better than any singers’ voice. Have I mentioned her eyes? The star attraction of her was her eyes. Her almond shaped eyes were shielded by a veil of long elegant eyelashes. Curving slightly at the end, her eyelashes were unique. Every blink she made, her eyelashes would flutter gracefully like a butterfly’s wings. To add to her beauty, she had a cute button-shaped nose perched on her face.
            I was staring at her for so long until I finally got to my senses and straightened up. I waited patiently until she was directly in front of me. Luckily I was taller than her so I would not look awkward standing in front of her. When the moment was right, I looked straight into her eyes and greeted her, my eyes never leaving hers. I introduced myself and did not pay any  attention to anything else that I was saying. When our little conversation ended, she walked past me, her sweet smelling hair flicking at my face and I swear that I heard her let out a small chuckle. I was left there standing alone with a stupid look on my face, but I was not alone. Not this time. In my right hand, I grasped tightly a piece of paper with something more valuable than any jewel or precious metal because it was priceless.
            It was her phone number.         
                        *                      *                      *                      *
            During the forum, I was agitated and fidgety, trying to find her. She texted to me “Where are you?” and I replied to her “I will stand up”. I stood on my chair, trying to be as tall as possible, but I had chosen the wrong moment.
            Stupid me.
            I stood up when everyone stood up to sing the national anthem, and obviously she could not see me. After the national anthem ended, I got away from my seat and went around the hall to look for her, but was caught by my school teacher and was ordered back to my seat.
            When the forum was over, I stood on my chair again, and this time, I did find her. I hurried my way over to her, but by the time I reached her, she had disappeared into the midst of people. Feeling dejected, I walked unhappily towards the main door to get into my teacher’s car.
            As I walked closer and closer to towards the car, I saw her. I whipped out my phone and texted to her, “Turn around”, and she did. When our eyes finally met once more, it was a blissful moment, but it was cut short by impatient teacher who honked at me, blocking our connection. Reluctantly, I dropped my gaze, waved goodbye and entered the car.
                        *                      *                      *                      *
            She was gone. Gone from my sight, but never from my heart she will be. In my heart, she would always have a place here. Armed with only her phone number, I set out on a quest to find her.
A quest, to find my…..
Angel.


Erratic Behaviour

No comments:

Post a Comment